Thursday, June 24, 2004

I have just been learning R. It works fine in WinXP and also works without graphics on the Thinkpad 360 running Debian 3. I was able to read the preface and work through part of the beginners sample. I would like to use R for graduate school. If there was ever a more vauge statement to make that must be it. I have been trained to use SAS at a very basic level. I can it seems teach myself to use R using the help files available.

I have read the outline and first article in Wall, David S. Ed. Crime and the Internet (New York, Routledge, 2001). The first chapter, Cybercrimes and the Internet is the outline and was written by the editor David Wall who is a the Director of the Centre for Criminal Justice studies at the University of Leeds. The second chapter is by Ken Pease and is titled, Crime futures and forsight: Challenging criminal behaviour in the information age p. 18-28. Ken is or was a visiting Professor in the Jill Dando Institute at University College London. I completed reading that article on Wednesday. This morning I have read the third article: Grabosky, Peter & Smith, Russell. Telecommunications fraud in the digital age: The convergence of technologies p. 29-43. Grabosky is a Professor in the Research School of Social Sciences at the Australian National University and Smith is the Deputy Director of Research at the Australian Institute of Criminology.

No comments: