Thursday, March 29, 2007

Programming school work very successful

I am just taking a break to post here after two successful programming sessions. The first was programming in Stella and the second was programming in R.

For Stella I had written down my ideas right in front of the professor after thinking up the program in the Tuesday lecture. It took about an hour or two but I implemented them alright in Stella. I can go further now with the basic modeling done. I modeled a labour negotiations game based on the social cooperation game in Bowles chapter 12 which was the game we studied last week. I only implemented the basic game and not the evolution of strategies or populations or conventions. I tied labour negotiation strategies into the wage and effort variables for worker negotiation strategies and for employer choice of strategies I tied in monitoring and effort. I merely accumulated payoffs from the game. I now need to tie the game back into the main model as a collective agreement or perhaps as a strike or lock out.

In R I used the professor's quick blackboard R code from our probability course and did it from memory but did the work of looking up all the help files for each command. I modeled a one dimensional random walk but need to make a very nice plot still. I did the code in a

editor for a printed copy and copied and pasted from the editor to the R command line. This R programming is for a bonus problem for our applied probability course. The problem in this assignment is to present random walks graphically and account for recurrence and transience in one, two, and three dimensional random walks. Our presentation must be appropriate for an audience who know nothing about markov chains, probability or random walks.

No comments: