Saturday, October 16, 2004

I finally just now reached a goal with my marking work. It was about four or five days since when I thought I could reach this point and when I did. I have a fair amount of marking still to do.

I gave a test to about 120 students last night. It was about 2 hours of work as a proctor or test faciliator. I read a little more of Hacker Culture and also started to the read Peele, Stanton. The Diseasing of America: Addiction Treatment Out of Control (Lexington, Mass.: Lexington, 1989). This book on addiction was recommended by Dawn Moore our drug law professor who is only the third legal studies professor I have had so far in my BA who is not a lawyer but she is a full time professor unlike the other two who were part-tme faculty.

I completed the MATLAB work today very quickly. My code was perfect the first time although this code in MATLAB gave a strange matrix using Gaussian Elimination. I had to show why there was a resulting error when this algorthum was used with a vander matrix. Every column of such a matrix is a power greater or lessor than the coloumn beside it. Thus over ten columns in our example the order of difference is on the order of greater than 10^9 which was the difference between the first and last rows. I still need to solve the assignment #3. My pen and ink math on the last assignmeent was perfect but I did not do enough MATLAB work on assignment #2.

No comments: