Friday, February 17, 2006

I bought a copy of a first year women's studies course pack from the womyns centre fundraising sale.

I have read the first article and now started a second from this first year women's study reader. The second article traces the history or herstory of the feminist movement in Canada basically starting at the 1950's. I am trying to get the basics of women's studies learned by this reading to support my reading of many books by women on feminist science studies. I first heard of the womyns centre at our school in the early 1990's. I have been studying women and computing now for about a year. I have a women professor for my own course now and a women supervisor for my TA work. In my legal studies only 2 credits out of 9 were taught by women.

One thesis I like from feminist legal studies as it relates to the statistical concept of bias is the idea of expressing our biases openly at the beginning and I often talk this way in meetings. I did try to admit my background in my honours paper, but this was considered too personal by my writing tutors, so I cut out this too personal part in the final draft of my paper on computer crime. In my paper on computer crime I don't remember citing women or considering gender at all. There was no breaking of the male computer criminal stereo type, yet there was some evidence that this is in fact a stereo type. Thus there are women computer criminals, as well as. male teenagers. That is what the cases showed.

No comments: