Tuesday, December 26, 2006

The economics course textbooks arrived and I started to read them.

I got the textbooks for the economics course on Christmas eve. That's Canada post for you. I have met one of their most radical leaders from the past and chatted with him briefly. I also volunteered with a postee at the green party convention this year. I also have better contacts for mobilizing postal workers now for labour actions.

The books for this course are:

Beinhocker, Eric D. The Origin of Wealth: Evolution, Complexity, and the Radical Remaking of Economics (Boston, Mass: Harvard Business School, 2006).
This book is 600 pages long thus if I want to have it read in the first two months of school term, or first six weeks would be better, I need to read 100 pages a week and that's about 15 pages a day. On Christmas Eve I started to read it. I read the preface and part 1 chapter one that day. On Christmas Day I read part 1 chapter two, thus reading 43 pages in two days. So with this above rate of 15 pages a day I am ahead now by almost one day.
Bowles, Samuel Microeconomics: Behavior, Institutions and Evolution (New York: Russell Sage Foundation, 2004).
This book is also about 600 pages long. Thus the same rate of reading will be applied to it. It arrived at the same time as the other course textbook. It is a textbook developed for a doctoral level course in economics from the University of Massachusettes. On Christmas Eve I read the 19 pages of the prologue and on Christmas got through to page 31 in part 1 chapter 1. So I am just on schedule with this book.

No comments: