Monday, August 09, 2004

I just completed reading a simple book with a lot of information thoughtfully presented in crime analysis. I spoke with the Ottawa Police recruiter last year and they have about 12 crime analysts with the Ottawa Police. The book is Vann, Irvin B. & Garson, G David. Crime Mapping: New Tools of Law Enforcement (New york: Peter Lang, 2003). This study continues my learning about GIS from GEOG2007 with little more info about ESRI products. Continuing my GIS education with this book helped me integrate my knowldge of traditional maps and mapping with post-modern GIS mapping in regards crime mapping. It probably also makes me a better city volunteer and victims assistance volunteer. I now know some issues of privacy concerning location of crime victims. This book also extends my studies in GIS and terrorism that I started in summer 2004 with LAWS4701.

No comments: