Thursday, August 19, 2004

I completed marking question number 2 for all the student's assignments. This question was about confidence intervals when sigma or the standard deviation is not known thus the t table is used to calculate the confidence intervals. I learned this in my undergarduate statistics degree.

I read a little of the qualitiative research method's chapter in the book Bachman, Ronet & Schutt, Russel K. The Practice of Research in Criminology and Criminal Justice, 2d (Thousand Oaks, CA: Pine Forge Press, 2003). I thought of the book on qualitiative research into recovery from schizophrenia I read in the spring. I also thought of a gang study I read in the year 1993. I read that book in 1993 in one day and it was 300 pages long. I just stayed up late to finish it back then. That book concluded that gangs were modeled or modelable on American business with graffiti as advertising and I don't seem to remember much else from the model. The author of the study was a scholar in Chicago and the study was a participant observation study. I also thought of a covert researcher/labour organizer study I read a couple of years ago. I also thought of David Hakken and his participant studies in computer use by organizations. I reflected on all these as my building knowledge in sociology and anthropology and its field work techniques.

No comments: