Thursday, July 02, 2009

I am trying to focus on school more this summer and it looks like I am recoverying some of my study habits.

This term should be my background literature reading term. I am trying to find more time to read. The problem is I have a full time job every day of the week. This has slowed down other graduate students in the past and is typically a show stopper for something like completing a PhD. I am trying to focus myself by blogging here more.

These past few days I have started to read the textbook for my fall course Semantic Web: Concepts & Technique COMP 4900-C (The course outline is here: http://www.scs.carleton.ca/~bertossi/semweb/syll09.pdf) and am now about one sixth done reading this book on web semantics. Here is the citation to my course textbook:

Allemang, Dean and Hendler, Jim. Semantic Web for the Working Ontologist: Effective Modeling in RDFS and OWL (Amsterdam: Morgan Kaufmann, 2008).
So far I have read three chapters. I have learned the rational behind the semantic web. I have been introduced to coding in RDF and a few related languages. I am now learning in chapter four about RDF parsers and serializers and RDF stores.

No comments: