Saturday, October 15, 2005

Reading about child poverty research, evidence and privacy, and other legal studies books.

I read some more of Data Smog this week. I read the first chapter of a book about child poverty research. I read the first chapter in an old law reform commission report about electronic surveilance. I read the introduction to a book on Ulrich Beck and his risk concept. This is for preparation to a possible legal studies course this winter on risk. I read the first chapter about youth in Robert Kennedy's To Seek a Better World. This last book is for my legal studies course tis term in criminal law.

I am slowly slogging through Neil Nehring's Popular Music, Gender, and Postmoderism: Anger Is an Energy (Thousand Oaks, Cal.: Sage, 1997). In music I also started to read this book this week: Firth, Simon. World Music, Politics and Social Change (Manchester, UK: Manchester University, 1989). Both of these books are critical of the elitism of music studies in universities. I also started to study mixing and effects in the book White, Paul. Basic Effects & Processors (London: SMT;Sanctuary, 2003).

No comments: