Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Legal topics studied this week, so far.

So far this week, I completed reading an article about privacy by Valerie Steves from our criminal law and political process course readings book. I also read two cases concerning aboriginal Canadians and the colour of right defence to charges resulting from protests. Basically aboriginals are allowed to trespass given that aboriginals have not sold their land to us Europeans. The belief that Canada, or parts of it not covered by treaties, are/is still aboriginal land and the complexity of land not being owned, because land ownership is a concept alien to aboriginal legal systems, is affirmed in these court cases I read. This continues the coverage of defences from my introduction to criminal law course, and also continues the coverage of aboriginals and the law from my introduction to private law course.

I spent about five minutes or less so far this week looking at the Rule of Law history book I am borrowing. I borrowed only one book tonight after reading

Schwartz-Morgan, Nicole. Loose Cannons In Cyberspace: Society and Psychological Change in Last, David & Horn, Bernd. eds. Choice of Force: Special Operations for Canada (Kingston, Ont.: The School of Policy Studies, Queens University, 2005).
This article depends on and describes the concept of genetic change by the concept of propensity genes. Her point is that the Information Age is changing the way we behave and that this change is not individual or cultural and thus is permanent. She is worried about this in more than just our dependence on technology, but also in regards the behaviour of the special forces and its leadership as these people change because of cyberspace.
The booked I borrowed is an analysis of the British Army Special Air Service and its presentation in popular culture. I will cite it at a later date, if I read more of it. Also this week I got more into reading about feminism and femininity involved in Latin American revolutions and also labour movements.

No comments: