Tuesday, January 18, 2005

I had some problems deciding on the data mining course yesterday and attended a law and literature course. We watched the film Maria Full of Grace about cocaine importation. This sparked a lively debate about drug laws. I told the class they should study Dawn Moore's drug law course.

I picked up the first STAT2507 assignment and will work on it a little today at school to prepare for the tutorial on Wednesday. I should be ok for giving this lab Wednesday morning.

I talked with Professor Normington about the data mining course and feel ok sticking with it for the term. It is very interesting but method intensive. I printed out yesterday's lectures and printed out the R code for the two lecture examples. I also ran the first part of the lecture's association code. I did not attend the lecture though. I also looked at the abstract of a paper on protecting association rules that are privileged. This would occur in industry where data might be shared but one rule that might be important might be hidden or protected so that some association might be unknowable in the data set. I think I understand this. The paper is Oliveira, Stanley R. M., Zaiane Osmar R. & Saygin Yucel. Secure Association Rule Sharing in Dai, Honghua, Srikant, Ramakrishnan, & Zhang Chengqi, Eds. Advances in Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining: 8th Pacific-Asia Conference, PAKDD 2004 Sydney, Australia, May 2004 Proceedings (Berlin, Springer, 2004).

No comments: