Wednesday, June 09, 2004

I just read my paper over again. I have some ideas of what I will still add to the paper from my original research. The paper is also provoking some thoughts and I will follow these arguments and try to clarify what I am saying. Mostly I am building a single layer dot plot of arguments where the first layer is the work of others. The second layer, in other words, places where there are two observations of the same point occuring in the paper are limited, in fact, this really only occurs where the law of disclosure is looked at. Also in this section I need one more footnote from Kent Roach but don't have his book now. My own ideas are more in the gathering of these ideas and putting them together into a debate rather than any great thoughts.

I have been reading David Wall on cybercrime this morning or rather his intro chapter to Crime and the Internet that he edited. I don't like all the cyber hyphenated words he uses and insist again that we keep cyberpunk literature in its place and that we use words like network and computer instead. This will greatly reduce media hype in computer criminology which is one of Wall's cavets to this new field of study I hope to master in my MA program in legal studies.

I also read a little of Bruno Latour's Pandora's Hope this morning. I picked this up after reading Chris Habel Gray's rejection of Latour's personification of objects. I did agree with Gary when I read him. I also did not like Latour's writing when I first read it last winter, 2003. I found he did not respect his reader. Gray makes a good point about politics depending on real human bodies but Gray is a bit of a crack pot Neo American constitutionalist and I don't need that.

Also this morning I read an article from Downey, Gary Lee & Dumit Joseph Eds. Cyborgs and Citadels: Anthropological Interventions in Emerging Sciences and Technologies (Santa Fe, NM:, School of American Research Press, 1997) about an HIV knowledge study amongst IUD users in Baltimore.

Last night I read about Time Series Analysis. I have borrowed three books on this topic. One book has programming exercises.

No comments: