- May Luong. The wealth and finances of employed low-income families Perspectives on Labour and Income (Ottawa, Canada: Statistics Canada, 2011) (http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/75-001-x/2011003/article/11529-eng.pdf) cited August 31, 2011.
Wednesday, August 31, 2011
I have not read the books I borrowed anymore. I did read about bass playing a bit and am reading a book on my Kindle about democratic revolutions and also reading and writing in French.
I have some time off this weekend to read more. I have no volunteer work scheduled this weekend. I won't be able to afford to go shopping anywhere. I can make a trip the the library.
I did spend last weekend making live music happen as a stage hand. I heard someone sing and play live I have listened to as recorded music for forty years or so.
I have a new tool to learn about namely a computer drawing board that I purchased.
I took Friday off work this week, so really I have only two days left to work this week.
Monday, August 22, 2011
- Wellman, Barry. ed. Networks in the Global Village: Life in contemporary communities (Boulder: Co: Westview, 1999).
- This editor often challenges the commonly held assumptions about networks and also challenges the negative views about the Internet. I have met him and studied much of his materials.
- McLean, Scott L., Schultz, David S. and Steger, Manfred. Social Capital: Critical perspectives on community and "Bowling Alone" (New York: New York, 2002).
- This book contains essays that critique Robert Putnam's "Bowling Alone" book and article.
- Arneil, Barbara. Diverse Communities: The problem with social capital
- The author brings a view of justice from feminist and cultural minorites to the thesis of Robert Putnam's "Bowling Alone", that civic society is on the decline claiming that the previous civil society Putnam sees as eroding may not have been of benefit to cultural minorties.
- Wellman, Barry and Haythornwaite, Caroline. eds.The Internet in Everyday Life (Malden, MA: Blackwell, 2002).
- This book added academic reason and research to Internet writing that helped guide Internet research forward.